Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Marky Ramone and the Intruders

This is a good one. Without a doubt my favorite interview Moisst ever did. Not quite sure how the Sponge pulled this one off, but damn, he came through in a big way. Moisst sits down to chat with the Legendary Marky Ramone when he came through the valley with his band The Intruders.



MARKY RAMONE AND THE INTRUDERS


I’m sure everyone is aware of the RAMONES.  Well, I would have to say that not everyone is familiar with the Marky Ramone and the Intruders. Get it together for Christ’s sakes.  I have told a few people about the Intruders and they have shrugged them off as a low end RAMONES by product.  This is definitely not the case.  Besides Marky being in the band they are completely a new sounding machine.  They don’t resemble anything like the RAMONES but they tear it up all the same.  We sat down with Marky and checked into the new band and past RAMONES shenanigans. This is a little taste of what Marky had to say about the whole shebang.



MOISST:  So, Marky how is it being on the road doing this INTRUDERS thing?

MR:  32 shows in 48 days.  Up from New York to San Francisco to LA, then here.  Were covering the whole United States give or take.

MOISST:  Warp Tour?

MR:  Yeah, we’ve got a few shows on the warp tour as well.  We are going back home to take two weeks off then were going to South America.

MOISST:  How are people taking to the individual bands compared to the RAMONES?

MR:  Well we’ve got our fans.  I mean yeah, some people found out about the INTRUDERS through the RAMONES but people are really picking up on the INTRUDERS so it’s great.

MOISST:  So as an individual RAMONE you get the same response?

MR:  Well, we’re not going to sell out a 50,000+ venue but 5,000 is not out of the question either.  I’m really not expecting to sell 50,000 on my own.  On the level that were at now were just starting out.  I mean we’ve been together for a year and a half.

MOISST:  Where did you find the different members in the band?

MR:  New York City, they were recommended to me.  So, I auditioned them and they worked out fine.

MOISST:  So, everything is working out on the road?

MR:  Everything is fine.  I had to get rid of the first singer cause he was a junkie.  I mean he lied to me and said he wasn’t on dope.  I mean he just decided he wanted to get high and nod out.  One time in New York we were doing a show and he was nodding out.  Me and Iggy Pop had to walk him around the corner just to try to wake him up.  He wouldn’t wake up so I kicked him in the head and poured water on him and he was just coherent enough to do the show.  After the show I threw him out of the band.

MOISST:  So originally you were a four piece and now your a three piece.

MR:  Yeah, just the way I want it.

MOISST:  OK. So the guitar player/singer has to be nineteen, twenty years old?

MR:  Twenty and he is working out great.

MOISST:  Yeah, he sounds great to me.

MR:  Well that’s it.  They work hard, they are into touring.  They don’t fuck up, they like their job.

MOISST:  How could you not like the job.

MR:  It’s still in the beginning stages.  It’s a fun tour with these guys.

MOISST:  So how is your relationship with the past members of the RAMONES?


MR:  The relationship with Dee Dee, Johnny is very close.  But with Joey we really don’t talk anymore.  It was really hard because Joey never gave a fuck about anybody else in the band.  Whenever we would do interviews he would let it be known that he would be the only one doing them.  Then he got fat on the road.

MOISST:  He’s kind of got a big ass.

MR:  He got really fuckin fat.  He couldn’t keep up with us anymore and that is basically why we broke up.  Because he wasn’t taking care of himself.


MOISST:  What is the deal with the wig?

MR:  Joey wears hair extensions.  He does.

MOISST:  And your hair is that a wig?

MR:  It’s not a wig.  No way.

MOISST:  Back to the relationship with the other RAMONES.

MR:  Yeah me and Dee Dee, and Johnny really get along and we don’t really talk to Joey anymore, but then again you never know the RAMONES could get back together to do a reunion tour in a year or two. We have had a bunch of offers to get back together again but to me I think once a band breaks up that should be it.  I don’t necessarily believe that bands should get back together.  The RAMONES basically could have tried.  We didn’t have to break up.  We could have continued.  Once a band breaks up and reforms it is most likely for the money and should a band do that I don’t know.  I don’t like to second guess it on the way a band is going to go out.  I mean if you do it do it right.

MOISST:  Differences aside do you think you might get back together and do it again?

MR:  I really like the rout I am taking right now I am really having fun with the band I am in now. After hanging out with the RAMONES for a while it was a drag.  Joey was a bummer you know he really was.

MOISST:  what’s up with you and C.J. Ramone?

MR:  I don’t deal with him and I’ll tell you why.  I got him into the RAMONES.  When he went on tour through South America he did and interview and he fucked me.  He said that I shouldn’t name my band MARKY RAMONE AND THE INTRUDERS  because I’m  not a RAMONE.  I told him hey you’ve been in the band six years and I have been in the band sixteen to seventeen years.  How can you say that?  He said he was sorry but fuck it, it was already said.  I told him that you may have replaced Dee Dee but you still can’t fill his shoes.  So, who the fuck is he to say that.  So I told him not to fucking talk to me anymore you know.

MOISST:  So this is the permanent new deal for you The INTRUDERS?  If the RAMONES got back together what would you do.

MR:  It would really have to be worth my while to do that.  I really am enjoying what I am doing.  The RAMONES were great at what we did but you’ve got to move on.  You can’t bring back the past.

MOISST:  The RAMONES were the best at what you did.

MR:  Your right but you can’t bring back the past.  I mean if the money was that good it might happen but that’s not a valid reason for the band to get back together again.

MOISST:  I saw the RAMONES on the Howard Stern show what was up with that  situation.

MR:  It was  Johnny and Joey sitting together.  Howard told Johnny to look at joey and he wouldn’t because he hates him.

MOISST:  This goes back years doesn’t it.

MR:  Yeah, and I’ll tell you why.  Johnny stole Joey’s girlfriend from him.  The reason being that Joey wouldn’t change his underwear for weeks.  They were all green and brown and she had enough of it.  She told Joey to change his underwear at least every three days.  I mean the guy used to shit in his pants in the tour bus and on planes.  The whole compartment would smell.

MOISST:  What the hell was up with that.

MR:  He didn’t feel like getting up to the bathroom.

MOISST: Back in the day what was the alcohol and drug consumption of the RAMONES?

MR:  Me and Dee Dee would drink about a quart of 151 proof a day.  We would smoke around five or six joints a day.  We would usually do a few qualudes, a few Tuinols (Don’t really know if this is the correct spelling), every once and a while we would have to level out with some Thorazine.

MOISST:  So what is your status now?

MR:  I haven’t had any drugs or booze for around fourteen years.

MOISST:  Originally you were booted out of the band right?

MR:  I was never booted out of the band.  I approached Johnny and told him that I was going into an institution for a while and then in the press they said I was booted out.  He was very passionate about the whole thing.  He said I know you’ve got a problem but we still want you in the band but we don’t want you in this condition.

MOISST:  So fourteen years now and you haven’t had any booze or drugs.

MR:  Yeah, and it sucks! (Laughter all around).  No I am all right with it.

MOISST:  So no prozac either?

MR:  No I’m not on prozac.  Joey is on prozac.

MOISST:  So, what did you think of the MOB 40’s?

MR:  I think they are good but I’m really not into that style of hard-core.  I think they are really good at what they do but I’m not into that.

MOISST:  Is that about it?

MARKY:THE INTRUDERS ARE THE FUTURE!!!



Marky is still out there doing his thing. The man does just about everything. Be sure to catch his latest project, Marky Ramone's Blitzkrieg with Michael Graves on vocals. His Satellite Radio Show can be heard on Faction Sirius/XM. Best of all, don't forget the pasta sauce! Check it all out on his website: http://www.markyramone.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment