Monday, January 16, 2012

Youth Brigade

From issue number one, the legendary Youth Brigade. This interview took place at the Nile Theater in Mesa some time in the early 90s. I have to admit, I was late to the game when it came to youth Brigade. It was specifically this show at the Nile that really made me come around. The intensity of the performance, the crowd interaction and not to mention Stern's amazing voice, it  totally took me in. For the next several years, I drove everyone around me completely insane constantly listening to Happy Hour and To Sell the Truth, over and over and over. Singing at the top of my lungs. Not too long ago I again had the privilege of catching Youth Brigade. This time here in Chicago at Riot Fest. They have not lost a step. Still as incredible as I remember.




As we pulled up to the Nile Theater in Mesa, I knew we were going to witness one of the best shows possible. Little did I know this would be the last time Possible to catch Youth Brigade. Yes, It’s true, Youth Brigade has broken up once again. I don’t know if this is going to be permanent because Youth Brigade is too big to be held back. The last album that Youth Brigade put out was one of their best and they played a lot of their best material for this show. If you’ve ever seen them live or at least seen SOMEONE GOT THERE HEAD KICKED IN, or DECLINE OF THE WESTERN CIVILIZATION, you know that they are the shit to be reckoned with. These guys have been involved with the hard-core scene as long as I can remember. If they did break up for good, it will be a heavy loss to all. By the way, do yourself a favor and pick up the new album. You wont be disappointed. After the set, Kira and Laura took a trip back stage and were able to get a little smack on the band. This was what they had to say.



MOISST: What do you think is the major difference from when you guys were doing “SOMEONE GOT THERE HEAD KICKED IN!” tour to playing tonight?

YB: I can’t hardly remember, it’s been so long ago. It’s definitely not the same old thing. You really can’t even compare the two. It’s like comparing apples and oranges. In those days it was something new and we were developing something new. Now it’s something that’s fed through MTV and commercial radio.

MOISST: Would you like to blow MTV off the fucking air?

YB: Well you know. The thing to me is that when all this started. When you would see a punk walking down the street, back when it was all erupting, they were your friend immediately because there were so few of us. Now the whole thing isn’t as offensive and it’s pretty well moved into the norm. The thing is it’s really time to lose the skin heads.

MOISST: (For who ever was around for the Youth Brigade show in Phoenix at the Grind or what ever the hell it was back then. Youth Brigade played with D.I. and it was a skin fest. The show was completely ruined from the Nazi patrol. During Youth Brigades set the skins were throwing the hil hitler shit not realizing the band they were watching was of Jewish origin (Some people just aint so bright!!!) To make a long story short. The set from Youth Brigade was cut short and the whole crowd was robbed from a possible great show.) Was the last show out here with the skin heads a problem that you face a lot on the road?

YB: As a matter of fact that was the first time that shit happened at that degree. I mean you can’t let a minority of idiots ruin the show for everybody else. Most if those fuckers aren’t what I’d call hard core Nazi’s. They just like the attention and pushing meat head mentality around.

MOISST: After that show I figured that would be the last time I would be able to catch you guys in this state.

YB: their’s no way something like that is going to stop us from what were doing I really believe their is still a strong punk scene that’s a valid scene. Which is a good thing and you know it’s a thing that will continue through fads or exploitation and all that goes with music.

MOISST: What do you think of the transformation of hard-core? To me It used to be a lot more varied in music style and ideals. Now it seems like the only thing half of these bands are out for now is the all mighty buck.

YB: I don’t think that many bands are in it just for the money in the punk scene. But yeah, their’s a lot more money to be made these day’s. When we started out money wasn’t a factor. That’s not what we were really ever about anyway. Their wasn’t any real money to be made in punk in the eighty’s.

MOISST: How do the tours seem recently?

YB: Well it’s never again going to be the way it was when we started out. I mean were meeting cool people all the time still. Back to what we were saying earlier the first time around we were starting scenes across the country and now it’s been going on for a while. The tours still change every time you go on one. There’s still a lot of good people on the road that help you out. That’s really what’s cool and that’s why it continues to be fun. Before when we would go on tour it was an adventure. Now, it’s something that you HAVE to do.

MOISST: How do you feel about bands that stole half their sound from your band and are riding the cash wagon and MTV now?

YB: There again that’s not what we have ever gone after. That’s their scene and were happy with what’s going on with Youth Brigade. Were really not into the same people that are into that. Then again I’m not going to sit here and judge everybody else on what makes them happy with what’s going on with there personal situation.

MOISST: How do you feel about the direction your music is heading into and the direction the band is moving in.

YB: Yeah I think were doing all right. The label is doing all right. The only thing were working on is being able to hit our audience and keep it going. You’ve got to work pretty hard these day’s to do that.

MOISST: So did BYO start up the same way a lot of these other Indies have started?

YB: Well probably not. BYO was started up by me and my brothers. We started the label so we could put out some of our own music and other bands that were friends of ours.

MOISST: What’s up with the Royal Crown review? I half of Youth Brigade is in Royal.

YB: Mark the drummer, Adam over here was the bass player and our other brother Jamie played with them.

MOISST: Aren’t you stoked you’ve broken away from the mundane life-styles so many people are staggering through.

YB: I wake up every day and I’m happy with what I’m doing. I’m glad I can work for myself and not some asshole. Speaking of getting out of work we really need to get this set wrapped up.



If you’d like to get a hold of any of the members of Youth Brigade you’ll have to reach them through: BYO RECORDS

No comments:

Post a Comment